Monday 19 November 2012

Monteith's Releases Something Different

Over the past few years tastes have migrated and micro-brewery beers have seen a huge uprising across Australia. I am the first to proudly say ‘quality over quantity’ when deciding between a six-pack of craft beer and some cheaper buck-a-can swill. Though I must say that by the time I am on my third or fourth schooner, I could not confidently tell any difference between a Little Creatures Bright Ale and a James Squire Sun Down Lager. I am not professing to be a beer connoisseur of any kind, just your regular once-a-week drinker who prefers a finer refreshment.

Therefore when I try a drink that is uniquely different, my taste buds go into overdrive. That’s where our friends over in New Zealand come into their element with the Monteith’s Golden Lager. Its distinctly simple orange label gleamed at me through the glass doors, enticing me to give it a go. I immediately recognised the Monteith’s shovel logo from their beautiful range of ciders, but had not seen a beer from this company until now.

Back at home, I uncapped my first bottle and poured the golden liquid into a schooner glass; it effortlessly rose to form a perfect head. From the first sip I was in love. The distinct taste sets this beer aside from the rest of the pack. The hops taste that I am so used to is still there, though a lot more subtle. At first I almost entirely missed the dark malty taste I am so used to, but it is definitely still there. I could not quite put my finger on the distinct flavour that was sneaking its way through, and – I hate to admit – it wasn’t until I read the label that it all came together with ‘a cashew nut smoothness’.

At only $17 a six-pack, if you are anything like me and always looking for something a little different, Monteith’s Golden Lager is well worth a shot.

–Kieran

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a beer-drinker myself, but the cashew-nut smoothness sounds intriguing. So too does your reference to 'buck-a-can swill'. Surely there are no beers available that are this cheap?

    ReplyDelete